Thursday, August 7, 2014

Jacky Jacquard

Hello!

Well, I have been MIA for awhile only because I have been trying to sew my planned projects plus this heat in July and August is making me feel kind of wonky.  The temperatures have reached around 25-28 here and I feel like passing out.  I then feel really lazy because I can't get any work done anyway, so what a vicious cycle.
 
So, this means I can work either in the morning or later on at night. And, getting another coat made seems really far into the future, but, I decided to tackle a Simplicity pattern that....you got it has been collecting dust in my bin-o-patterns for probably around 3 years.  Yeah, just because I buy them does not mean I get at it right away.  I wish I could....but the reality is,  in my world, I have a combination of
  1.  Timing
  2. Money
  3. Opportunity

Most of the time, they are met, but....anyway...you know.
 
So, earlier in the Spring, May actually, FabricLand came out with this Blushing Antique collection that favoured pink. 

GREAT!!!! 

The thing is, they also had a lot of textures to choose from which made me want to buy a nice pink Jacquard fabric.  I sat on this for about 2 weeks and decided to go back and get enough to make a Spring coat fit for a princess!
The trouble was, when I came back, they said

 ' Some chick bought the last bolt for a wedding..it was around 7 metres.'

WHAT!!!!

I had to go all the way to Abbotsford and get me some Jacquard fabric.  Luckily they had some..a lot of it, so I bought 3 metres.  Thank God for that! 
 
So, up until now, I hummed and hawed about what pattern to use and I chose Simplicity 2311 view B double breasted short coat.  I also had to go through all of my stash and see whether or not I had enough fabric.
 
The drawing of the chick in the middle jacket is what I made.
Now, this coat I ended up putting together in 4 days.  I know, I have sore arms now, but it was worth it.
 
This is definitely a Kate Middleton look for sure, it also needs a cute pair of heels too!
 
To most sewers who have done this kind of thing it is a 'No Brainer'.  I got to focus on my aesthetics more so this time than ever, but....and this is a big but....I feel it fit OK.  I cut out a 16, some wiggle room but it didn't puff me up at all really.
I also have to say the directions were a bit lacking.  If you are a beginner, you may need some navigation as I found that it was missing tidbits here and there.  I normally don't need them but like I was saying...a bit thin.
 
As for the overall looks, I chose white pearlized(plastic) buttons.  A nice gold button would have also worked but I didn't have them.
 
I also brought up the hem to 2 inches instead of their 1.5 inches.  The coat seems more shorter showing more leg, but with a pair of heels it will lengthen them a lot.
 
Front
 

Back..I know I know..with a yoke
 
Button choice
 
Lining colour is a wheaty-gold which my camera is not picking it up correctly.
 
a roll line is actually a dart and I chose the gathered sleeve.

Also, let me add this:  This jacket didn't really need to have a yoke.  I would have preferred princess seams.  I guess for jackets I suppose it's ok, but you know how I feel about them anyway on women's garments.
Also, my jacket does not look wrinkly on me.  The mannequin is not doing it justice as she clearly has no boobs past A cup.
 
I also stitched a 1/4 inch top stitch along the front and collar area.  I also recommend you use fusible interfacing.  Adds the correct amount of stiffness.
 
Anyway, like I said, I need a very cutsey-poo pair of heels for this.  I am sure I have some, if not I have a great excuse to start looking for another pair!

Bye for now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment