Friday, January 31, 2014

McCalls 6896 Modern Jacobean Drapery and compromising View D


OK, we all need chic tops right?  Well, I do.  And the list never ends!

If I can quickly whip something together then I am up for that because I know for a fact that some of my projects take forever to finish and sometimes instead of me doing all this embroidery I may want to just throw up my hands and let the print on the fabric do it for me.

So, in sewing together McCalls 6896, I loved the idea of wearing this with a chic pencil skirt with some new Micheal Kors heels I just bought. (on sale...of course) and for me Spring brings hope that I can finally enjoy sunny days, the days get longer and the weather is warmer on average around 15 Celsius for March and that is warm enough for me to kick start my new season sewing plans.

So, I am done with women's winter outerwear right now, but I had to compromise a little bit here.  I first wanted to sew together Butterick 6025 but since FabricLand was not on the ball yet, I went with McCalls 6896.  The fabric used in the Butterick pattern reminded me how much I liked a blue floral Jacobean type print and off I was searching online and in the fabric stores around here, but couldn't find it exactly, but found one in the drapery section which was light enough.

Butterick 6025 with pleats in the front



McCalls 6896 View D
Animal print?  Forget that!

So, here I am sewing this together and I had to make some changes.  

First of all, I didn't care at all for the interfaced facings that were part of McCall's original plan.  I bought enough cotton broadcloth to line this whole top, which was a better idea for me because the facings looked really weird.  There was no way I was going to use them, and sewing them to the zipper makes it kind of bulky.
This also says that I skipped on the interfacing altogether.  This may make my front flop a bit but maybe that's a good look since I plan to dress this up with jewelry anyway.

The one thing I really wish I had here was a gold metal zipper to brighten up the top but I couldn't  because the store didn't have the right things that I wanted to implement. Another compromise. 

Other than that I liked the way it turned out.

Centre Front 


Centre Back with exposed zipper





Lining of white cotton broadcloth
  
Anyway, I hope that this comes close to the idea from Butterick 6025.  I wonder where they get their fabric from?

Just a thought I am working on this one....still searching....

That's it until next time!!!

Karin

PS:  I am officially a size 16!!!! YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment