Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vogue 8543 Skirt and Jacket. A Tale Of Two Dogwoods

The third black skirt and final white flower project.

This is more of a formal skirt pattern with what Vogue calls "Divine Details".  Now this means, topstitching, pleating,  and curved and form fitting panels on the back side of the skirt.  The invisible zipper is on the left front on this pattern.

Now, when multiple curved panels are part of the pattern, one way of increasing the aestetics and quality of your work is to be precise on your cutting and match seams and topstitching from front to back.  Makes a lot of sense, and I have seen lesser quality from store bought items and at least you can notice these things and be aware.

Now, as usual, I always glam it up a little bit more by adding that extra dimension of fancy and cute combined.  I have had these pictures in my repetoire since 2004 and I finally have enough time and money to get these long thought out plans accomplished.

So, in my collection of subjects on my list, I first got pictures of Cornus x ' Eddie's White Wonder' at a friends house and its parent Cornus nuttalii from Cultas Lake (Crown land).  As it was explained to me back in the day, Cornus nuttalii was more prone to disease and crossing it with Cornus florida has provided the hybrid (Eddie's white wonder)with more longevity.  Although, mature Cornus nuttalii trees in the wild tend to do okay and it is the provincial emblem.

Also, let's be precise about this.  The white blooms of Dogwoods are not flower petals!  They are bracts.  Just like poinsettas at Christmas they are not flowers, but the bracts are specialized coloured leaves.
So, for this project I decided to do Cornus nuttalii and Eddie's white wonder bracts on the front of the skirt with bark and leaves.

Pictures of Dogwood subjects


Cornus x 'Eddie's White Wonder'

Cornus nuttalii at Cultas Lake

 Cultus Lake off in the distance.  This photo was taken atop
Elk Mountain (est elevation 1500m) facing South west

Anyway, from my pictures, it seems as though C. nuttalii is a lot whiter than the hybrid.  It doesn't matter really, but something to note.

Yes, this is project is all of my own.  I got these pictures, traced and created my own template.  The only back drop is the size of the subjects.  They are huge!  High def pictures from a digital camera are really big here so I used ones that were a manageable size.  I also love the green in the leaf colour.



Cornus canadensis taken at Lindemann Lake near Chilliwack lake



Lindemann Lake facing mostly North


Anyway, in showing Cornus canadensis, I am planning on putting this specimen on the jacket that comes with this pattern.  I really think the jacket from this pattern is really neat because of the peplum. 
Also, C. canadensis is a groundcover.  I thought it would be a good idea to put this species on the jacket front because of the compact size.  Okay, maybe it's tacky, but I like to at least try these things and see if they work, and, I can mix and match because these garments are black and they should go with anything.

I also know that the dogwood needs to go on the right front lower part of the jacket.  Seems reasonable since womens garments always have the buttonholes on the right side.  This means that it will overlap the left, so, if I put my subject on the left, it will get covered up which is what we don't want. (mental note...)

****Sorry about the lake and nature photos.  I find it more fun to get inspired this way****


Now, here is the start of the skirt and jacket pictures:




The finished look
OK, OK this was a mass produced major TYPO from the factory of Vogue Patterns but it is not a "Oh whoa is me-the world is coming to an end" issue, but one of the skirt panels was mislabelled as a jacket piece and in the instructions the centre back piece was mismatched with something that didn't work.  Here is the corrections if someone out there is beating themselves up over it.
Now, I hope this problem doesn't exist for every pattern, but these were the corrections I had to make to mine


This is how the skirt panels should be joined [side back(13)-centre back(14)-side back(13)]


Piece 13 is NOT a jacket piece



Drawing of 4 dogwood bracts on skirt, yes, they are all there!



Bottom 2 dogwood bracts of skirt





Bottom 2 bracts finished



Top 2 bracts completed.  Based on Cornus nuttalii from local forest




Completed skirt.  Needs ironing.
Wearing it from the  front view.  I sewed it but feels baggy

 



Right front of jacket with C. canadensis trace


Near completion



Finished...needs ironing!

Once the embroidery is done, and this can take a couple of weeks or longer, putting it together is all just busy work and here is the finished jacket


Finished Jacket.  Fully Lined


Lining on the inside.  It may not show it but it is a mossy green


28 mm buttons. It specified 25 mm size but I didn't like the selections.  It couldn't really focus
well, but the best I could do

Now, here is something that I did that the instructions didn't do.  I attached the lining sleeves instead of slipstitching it after I sew the lining to the fashion fabric.  It worked it's just that I had to pull the jacket through a smaller opening.  It squeezed through fine.
I then handstitched the sleeve lining to the cuff lining by way of whipstitch.  Now if anyone finds this method "crude and ugly" to each their own, I personally don't have a problem with it. 

Once again, the camera wasn't cooperating
It took me a month to complete this project between work schedules, but in the end, although I sewed everything correctly with the correct size 18, the skirt didn't really work out 100% as I would have liked. It feels like a large size 18 with some puffiness,  however the jacket was the winner here! I love this jacket!  It fits fabulous for me and I will be wearing this with other coordinates!
And, I should invest in a garment steamer! 

Until next project...

Karin

1 comment:

  1. Do you still have this pattern? I love it! Would you be interested in selling it?

    ReplyDelete