Sunday, July 7, 2013

Quick projects Simplicity 1941


The 2 Day Challenge and saving buttons
OK, so, I am getting ready for work, look at my white shirt and look at the wear and tear on my shirt. It doesn't look pretty at all, in fact it's down right nasty, and 3 years later of trying to get out that unseen grime build up over that period of time, you know your garment is getting filed under "G". This particular shirt was made out of good quality quilting cotton because it was $4.00/m, and it did last well, but we must part with our loved one and move on....
Now, I know I ramble on about how much it rains here, and it's true, but I need a cutsie-poo shirt that looks good and has short sleeves that lets me hold onto my youth and makes me feel so summer-like care free whatever, so, I chose this pattern because it has all the elements that I look for in a shirt for work and play.
Also, I need to stress that buttons can be pricey, so, if your one with money to burn, buy new ones every time, but I don't. I save them. They are more or less utility and plain buttons but NONETHELESS.....we shouldn't have to throw them away. I even save buttons from not-so-attractive dress shirts of men's garments too...so....yeah....
By the way, I did this on my 2 days off between July 5-6, 2013 which I thought I can prove to myself that I can do it!!!



 

Inspecting the old piece of junk: Look what bleach did!!!

Look at the sleeve seam, button hole and side seam.
I know I know the dirt cannot be removed!!!





The french seam is still intact but top layer has disintegrated



Botttom-most buttonhole torn and repaired






Side seam disintegrating


  And you are probably thinking: "Why are you wearing this in public?"

Well, no longer! It has seen better days.

2 Day Challenge: 8 am Friday to 10 pm Saturday night.

I actually took breaks during this time because I know working straight would make the statement "Haste makes waste" actually true and to prevent myself from going stir-crazy, I did pace my self and it worked. I could have sewn french seams but serged my seams instead of course due to lack of time, but I might try that one out for another day.



Finished blouse for work and off-work
View C without ruffle



For 160 cm wide fabric on sale 50% off you've GOT to build your wardrobe on that! And I used 6 out of 8 buttons salvaged.
 
PS:
 
The only snag I encountered was the sleeve fit.  I KNOW I cut out the correct size and followed the pleat lines, but I found that the front part of the sleeve between the single notch and the shoulder seam had so much slack that I had to add an extra pleat to fit exactly to size.  It is not an END OF THE WORLD dilemma it's just that I have an extra pleat in the front and I hope nobody else has this problem. 
 
Until then, ta-ta
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment