Sunday, January 15, 2012

Butterick 5685 size 18

Winter Coat

Butterick 5685

I finally finished my winter coat for this year.  I chose Butterick 5685 size 18.  I wanted a damask pattern jacket, and I found some drapery fabric on sale for $4.00 per metre, and with it being winter I also decided to put a layer of batting for warmth. 

To extend the life of this jacket, I decided to tack down the batting to the fashion fabric with glass beads.  By doing this the basted layers won't seperate as easily.  I suspect this will be a dry cleaning issue in the future, and the beads make it look really nice.

By adding a batting layer, it also made this thing really heavy overall, but what are you going to do in the winter when you're cold and outside?

Overall, I found this pattern to be very easy to put together, as it states it was at the "EASY" sewer level.

Be aware that the cotton quilt batting layer caused a lot of fluff off everywhere!  I used the lint brush like you would not believe.  I think I could fit into a size 16 but I chose 18 just in case.

Here are the supplies used:

Butterick pattern 5685 View C (full length)
7m of 150cm wide drapery fabric(yes, one way designs are hogs when it comes to fabric usage)
2.5m? of heavy weight black linen ( I used what ever I had leftover, didn't measure)
5 packages (minimum) of Mill Hill brand seed beads (Colour #3002)
2.8 m of cotton quilt batting
2 m of black light weight sew-in interfacing
Navy colour sewing thread
Black colour sewing thread
Navy serger thread, Black serger thread
6-23mm pewter coloured buttons

Finishing and attaching the lining:

I went on a limb and broke away from the intructions way to attach the lining only because I HATE slipstitching, so, I sewed on the lining seperately from the main fabric, attached the lining to the collar and attached the sleeve lining and bottom hem with a handsewn blind hemstitch or whipstitch.  To me it looks fine and attaching the lining is way easier for me this way.





Back View C
Beading on sleeve

Button detail

No comments:

Post a Comment